Sunday, May 18, 2008

Blurt!

We played this game tonight:





The Starkweather kids (ages 15, 13 & 9), Jim, and I took eachother on in a Blurt challenge. Boys against girls, of course. The girls were pretty sure we were going to show the boys up with our incredible word skills. But, alas, they were pretty awesome.

Blurt is a fun word game. One person reads the definition of the word, and everyone else has to "blurt" out the word they think the definition is...uh, defining. If you're the first to guess, your team advances, etc. In good company, which we had, it's a very fun game.

Some HILARIOUS moments are as follows:

---

Crystal reading a definition: "A measure of weight used for diamonds and other precious donuts." --note: it said "stones," which I'm sure you could have guessed. I have NO idea how she read the word "donuts," but it's possible.

Jim called out, "KARAT!" And he was right.

"Wait!" I said to Crystal, "did you say 'and other precious donuts?'"

We were rolling with laughter...rolling.

---

Tony reads: "The 25th letter of the alphabet."

It was on the tip of my tongue, I had to start at "Q" to get to "Y" for some reason and Jim answered before me "Y!"

"Poop on a stick!" I blurted out (hence the name of the game). EVERYONE died. Laughing. I covered my mouth, and said under my breath, "I should NOT be teaching you to say things like that."

They joked that the missionary wife said "poop." I don't know yet if this is good or bad.

---

Tony (again) reading the definition says, "A beetle after it hatches and before it is fully grown."

The answer is "grub," which no one got, but the conversation that ensued was jolly, to say the least.

Jim and I yell in unison, "Larva!" And because this guess was incorrect, we continued our attempt.

My mind draws a blank, I don't know dirt about bugs and their growth stages. Are you kidding me?

Jim makes another attempt he says, "Poopa." And he means to pronounce it "Pupa." Great. Now the missionary AND his wife have said "Poop" in front of the pastor's kids.

At this point, I figured it was a lost cause and we would have fun with it. Pastor Starkweather had joined us by then and he was already enlightened by his kids about the Missionary's wife "blurt" of the game. So, I decided it was too late. I've already been myself. I might as well keep going.

My reply: "On a stick-a?"

Uproarious laughter. You might have to go back a few paragraphs to truly follow this one...maybe it's a "you had to be there" moment that is nigh impossible to translate into the written word.

---

During the previous round, where everyone was thinking of bug life for answers, the 9 year old, Kayla, called out "Callapitor!"

I knew this word sounded vaguely familiar, but there was something about it that didn't sound quite right.

"Say that again?" I requested. She, along with her older sister and brother repeated "Callapitor!"

"Is that how it is?" I asked a little dumbfounded. "Callapitor? That sounds so weird."

So, they say it again "Callapitor!" Over and over. For some reason, it's fun.

I persist. "What a weird word! I didn't think it sounded so strange. I know what you're saying, but it's just so...weird!"

Jim finally catches on that I'm having an absurdly unusual blonde moment and chimed in "CATERPILLAR."

I laugh so hard at my vulnerability, I shed tears. More laughter.

---

Today, I'm thankful for people with whom you can be yourself. Ah, the comforts of a home and your family in Christ.

3 comments:

HonorMommy said...

Sounds fun! I love board games!

Anonymous said...

heehee! Glad to hear you didn't pee your pants... though it would have been a great addition to your story!

Sarah said...

It was a close one, Gina...a close one.

© 2009 'Two-column photo blog' by HUGE photo blog

Back to TOP