Thursday, March 13, 2008

In Memory of a Man of Prayer

A couple of weeks ago, Jim and I attended the funeral of Pastor Harold Clark. Although I didn't know much about Pastor Clark, I did know he had played a significant influential role in Jim's life. To me, that is a treasure.


When Jim (or Jamie as they liked to call him) was born, his parents were attending First Baptist Church in Flat Rock, MI under the shepherding leadership of Pastor Clark. After a number of years, Jim returned to First Baptist with me in tow. Elderly ladies hugged him and reminisced little Jamie as many of them taught his Sunday School classes or cared for him in the nursery. It was nice to see how remembered and loved he was in that church! Right before the service started, we were spotted by Pastor Clark. His memory was sharp and he recalled specifics about Jamie and assured him that he has been praying for him over the years. No doubt this was true.



At the funeral that unusually warm Tuesday in March, I was asked by one of the long-time members of the church if I had seen the picture of Jim on the Bulletin Board of Memories arranged to commemorate Pastor Clark and his life. I took interest immediately and followed her to the board. Lo and behold, there was Baby Jamie being held by his dad, Steve at the front of the church auditorium. Behind them and two other parents and babies, stood Pastor Clark praying a prayer of dedication over these children and their parents. It wasn't just a nice picture to me, but an amazing flood of thanksgiving came over me as I realized just how significant that picture was - how timeless that moment was. Jamie was now a man of God, dedicating his life to His work in ministry and I just got a glimpse of the beginning.


Not only did I get a flutter of anticipation of how someday God might use our children, but I reveled in the moment, thanking God for Pastor Clark and his interest in Jamie's life. Now I understand more why he was so excited and supportive when he found out about Jamie's decided obedience to God in ministry and missions.

Thank you, Pastor Clark, for your faithful years of prayer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. I've got goosebumps!

© 2009 'Two-column photo blog' by HUGE photo blog

Back to TOP