Monday, October 19, 2009

Married a Missionary: First Words, First Impressions


First Words #1

"Hi, My name is Sarah. What's yours?"

"Jim."

"Nice to meet you! And welcome to campus!"

I was working for the Admissions Department and it was my job to welcome new students. This particular new student caught my eye. Not because he was cute, but because he was sitting all by his lonesome in the library. I hate seeing people sitting all by their lonesomes.

First Words #2

"Hi, My name is Sarah. What's yours?"

"Jim."

"Nice to meet you!"

This guy looked strangely familiar, but I was sure I hadn't met him yet. He caught my eye, specifically because he was walking all by himself down the sidewalk toward the library.

First Words #3

"Hi, My name is Sarah. What's yours?"

"Jim."

"Hello, Jim! It's really nice to meet you!"

There was something about this guy that was comfortable. Almost like I've met him somewhere before. He looked really, really familiar. Hmmm.

First Words #4 or #5...or possibly #6

"Hi, My name is Sarah...."

"I know."

"Do I know you from somewhere?"

"You've introduced yourself to me already." How gracious of him NOT to bring up the fact that I introduced myself to him a bajillion times already.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I thought you were familiar!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From this point on, it was a joke to say "Do I know you?" whenever I saw him....and later in 'our story' I found out that he was reading into my ditzy introductions a leeetle more than I intended. He thought I was interested in him...I just thought he was a perpetual new student to welcome! Poor guy!

I was sure his first impression of me was awful. He had to think I was a total dork. So, 3 years later, when we started our journey together, I asked him, "What did you think of me when I introduced myself to you so many times? You had to think I was a dork."

"Nope," was his simple Jim-esque reply. "I thought you were friendly. And I liked that."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was totally going to end on the super-sweet Jim note, but I have to tell you what he said just now.

He looked up from the paper and asked, "Are you a poster child?"

"Mmmm, no, why?" I asked, wondering if he'd read about one of Jerry's Kids in the paper.

"Cause you're posting."

*yuk,yuk,yuk*

And because a post is ALWAYS better with a picture...

this is one of my favorites, taken last year around this time.

950

Tell us about YOUR first impressions and link up with Rachel!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! I don't think you ever told me about that.
When you saw him the second time, was that when he was wearing his trench coat? ;)

melanie said...

I'm enjoying this serial story, Sarah! =) Real Life Romance. (I was The Ditz... fun memories)

((argh ... Google is on vacation today))

Anonymous said...

bahahahahaa. Art's first impression of me was that I was desperate to get married and he should probably stay away from me. :o

My friend was getting married that day and the first thing he remembers hearing me say is "it's a beautiful day for a wedding!"

Guess what I said to him after I walked up the aisle on our wedding day? ;)

Gina said...

:) I love this part of your story. Makes me laugh every time. It's SO "Sarah" to introduce yourself to EVERY person you meet... EVERY time. :) I love you.

{amy} said...

I'm glad you're participating in MM&M! I did mine in the summer, but I keep going back for more stories! I'm loving yours so far!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh that is hilarious! And I love that he read more into your intentions!

This is so great, thank you so much for participating! :)

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

:snort:

LOVED IT!!!

And now look what you are called to do-- constantly introducing yourself to new people and saying "Hi! My name is Sarah. What's yours?"

:) God had a plan from the beginning. Except now Jim is walking with you.

© 2009 'Two-column photo blog' by HUGE photo blog

Back to TOP