I grew up on this stuff. This is the recipe my mom uses and I l-o-v-e it. It's nothing like what you get in Chinese Restaurants, lemme tell ya. My husband hates egg rolls, but he LOVES mine and actually asks me to make them. You'll have to forgive me if I don't really make sense while sharing this recipe. I know it by heart, I don't use a written recipe, so this might be a little rough.
Mmm, taste the Egg Rolly goodness already.
Here's whatcha need to make'em.
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 head of cabbage
- or just a bag of slaw mix - it already comes with cabbage and carrots and it's sooo much easier than slicing and dicing. :)
- Oil (veggie or olive)
- Brown ground beef (say THAT 10 times fast)
- drain and mix in with the cabbage and carrots in a large blue bowl (okay, okay...it can be another color, but I prefer my Blue Bowl.
- Place mixture by the spoonful onto egg roll wrappers diagonally. Fold bottom corner up. Side corners in. Dip your finger into an egg white, spread on top corner, roll, secure. I realize this can sound incredibly confusing, so I've provided a series of pictures.
- Place egg roll carefully into hot oil. Flip when bottom side is browned.
- After both sides are browned, place on a paper towel so oil gets soaked in.
You can't have Egg Rolls without Fried Rice, can you??? Don't answer that...I say "NO!" :)
This is SUPER easy...
- About 2 1/2 cups of prepared rice (I used brown rice because I like the texture)
- A Handy Dandy "Fried Rice Seasoning Packet" (I only use about half of the packet, despite what the directions on the packet say. And I don't put my Soy Sauce in the rice at preparation. I let my guests decide how much they want.
- GREEN ONIONS (I forgot this essential part of the dish this time, and definitely changes the taste. That's why it's in all CAPS.
- Bacon (1 package, fried up and torn in pieces) - Mmmm, Bacon.P.S. DO NOT let your husbands fry up the bacon...you will not have enough for the dish. He will eat most of it while he's tearing it in pieces. I'm just sayin'.
- 2 eggs (1 of those eggs will come from your egg roll securing substance...for lack of a better term.
- Soy Sauce (optional)
- While the Egg Rolls are a'fryin', fry up the bacon and get the rice going. While this is happening, and you're done assembling Egg Rolls, scramble your eggs in a skillet (or Wok, if you want to be traditional).
- When rice is done, add it to the skillet along with torn bacon, chopped green onions and half packet of fried rice seasoning.
Egg Rolls & Fried Rice must go together...like Peas and Carrots, only not as healthy - but really, REALLY tasty.