Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Dreary Day?

Nothing like a little color to brighten a rainy, dreary day...

Aug 30, 2011_edited-1

"There is nothing dreary or doubtful about life. It is meant to be continually joyful...We are called to a settled happiness in the Lord whose joy is our strength."

Amy Carmichael

Jim and I have been reading through the book of Acts together these past few weeks. Just yesterday, we read chapter 13, and it was verse 52 that struck me hard. "And the disciples were filled with JOY and with the Holy Spirit."

Lately, I haven't been exactly joyful, and that's not ok. I've felt the weight of my choice, and I, in my stubbornness, remain. Why? The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak! (Matt. 26:41; Mark 14:38) It is all too easy to choose bitterness over forgiveness, or pride over humility, or selfishness over joy. But, I'm reminded in Galatians to "walk in the Spirit and you shall not fulfill the lusts of the flesh."

So, if it's true (and it is) that the disciples in Acts 13 were filled with the joy AND the Holy Spirit, then it also stands to reason that when I am NOT joyful, I am NOT allowing the Holy Spirit to fill me...to control me. I'm NOT walking in the spirit, but in the flesh. May God grant strength in HIM to choose His way and...be joyful.

3 comments:

Alida Sharp said...

Amen! I have not been as joyful as I should be...and this was a great reminder to let the Holy Spirit do His work.

Julie said...

Good thoughts! Thank you for the reminder :o)

cybil said...

wonderful photo!!!!!
be not too strict with yourself - sometime things need healing in God's presence .. and then, step by step, your joy comes again - often bigger than before!
Sibylle

© 2009 'Two-column photo blog' by HUGE photo blog

Back to TOP